Sports Business

SU Athletics partners with The Brandr Group to promote NIL partnerships

Syracuse joins four other ACC teams as partners with The Brandr Group.

Syracuse University announced a partnership with The Brandr Group today for all of the Orange’s teams. The group licensing agreement will allow Syracuse athletes to have name, image and likeness opportunities that use the school’s official trademarks and logos.

Brandr is a brand management, marketing and licensing agency that uses group licensing rights to create co-branded opportunities for athletes and their schools. SU is not the only ACC school to have a partnership with Brandr as Boston College, North Carolina, Pittsburgh and Miami are also partnered with Brandr.

In July, Buddy Boeheim made history as the first collegiate athlete to have an NIL deal that uses university trademarks. His t-shirts with The Players Trunk features his likeness and SU’s trademarked block S.

“As one of the first college programs in the nation to develop co-licensing deals for student-athletes, we are excited to partner with Brandr which creates additional opportunities for our student-athletes in group licensing,” said Syracuse Director of Athletics John Wildhack.

With Brandr, the group will create collective brand opportunities that feature a student’s name, image or likeness alongside the university’s trademarked logos. Student-athletes will have the option to join the group licensing program that will assist in creating NIL opportunities that feature both the student and university.

For fans, this partnership will open up the possibility to purchase team jerseys that feature the name and number of players that choose to opt into the group licensing program once Brandr has created agreements with trademark licensees.

“We are so excited for (athletes) to be able to benefit from the combination of Brandr’s group licensing efforts and Syracuse University’s intellectual property,” said Mark Wheeler, Syracuse Associate Athletics Director for Compliance. “This is another example of Syracuse University doing everything we can to create positive experiences and opportunities for our student-athletes and our partners.”