ORIENTATION GUIDE 2017

Syracuse Welcome adds new move-in date and college reception changes

An extra student move-in day was added to Syracuse Welcome this year to help cut down on traffic and wait times.

Syracuse Welcome is a tradition all students experience upon arrival, but this year’s traditions come with a few new additions.

Additional formal move-in shifts for new students and their families were incorporated into the schedule this year, with extra times on Aug. 22. Typically the Wednesday and Thursday before Orientation Weekend are reserved as new student move-in dates, said Carrie Grogan Abbott, director of First-Year and Transfer Programs.

The new date on Tuesday is intended to help cut down on traffic and wait times and improve the move-in experience for new students and their families, she said.

The Tuesday shifts will have limited assistance from Goon Squad volunteers — returning students who help new students move into residence halls. Faculty, staff and students will be available to greet and help new students.

New students will still tie their orange ribbons to trees in the Orange Grove outside Carnegie Library and rally in the Carrier Dome representing their residence halls. Though orientation week is packed with optional events, several are mandatory. Abbot said academic activities such as individual college receptions are mandatory.

“New student orientation is a key way for students to feel prepared to start their Syracuse University career,” Abbott said. “It’s our goal during orientation for students to meet other people, to start to get to know our campus, to meet the faculty and staff in their school or college.”

The Friday orientation for the College of Arts and Sciences will now feature “Meet the Deans” tables, said Sarah Scalese, associate vice president for university communications, in an email.  Students can introduce themselves to Karin Ruhlandt and David Van Slyke, deans of the College of Arts and Sciences and the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, respectively.

The School of Architecture, School of Education, College of Engineering and Computer Science, the David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics, the Martin J. Whitman School of Management, the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications and the College of Visual and Performing Arts have made no changes to their welcome programming from last year. The School of Information Studies did not respond for this story.

Orientation isn’t only for incoming students; parents and guardians have their own special programming. Abbott said the family programming allows parents to learn about the school and ask SU officials questions away from their new students.

There will be no new programming for sexual and relationship violence education, Abbott said. SU will continue to use the Think About It online education program before students come to campus and the Speak About It performance on campus to teach students about consent, sexual and relationship violence and resources on campus.