Former Syracuse All-American Scott Firman selected by New York Lizards in 5th round of 2017 Major League Lacrosse Draft

Ally Moreo | Photo Editor

Firman held some of the nation's best to under their season averages in his first year at close defense, earning All-American honors.

The New York Lizards selected former Syracuse defender Scott Firman with the seventh pick in the fifth round, No. 43 overall, on Sunday in the 2017 Major League Lacrosse Draft.

An SU player has been drafted every year since the first MLL draft in 2001. Syracuse was the only team in this year’s draft with two players selected in the first round.

Firman began his SU career as a long-stick midfielder before transitioning into one of the nation’s best close defenders his senior season. The 5-foot-11, 189 pounder caused a team-high 16 turnovers and finished third in ground balls (32) in his first year wearing the venerable No. 11 jersey, given to SU’s best defender.

The first team All-American limited some of NCAA’s best to under their season averages including Albany’s Connor Fields (scoreless), Johns Hopkins’ Shack Stanwick (scoreless) and then-No. 1 Notre Dame’s Ryder Garnsey (one goal).

Firman is Syracuse’s fourth selection of the day with midfielders Nick Mariano and Sergio Salcido both ending up on the Florida Launch and faceoff specialist Ben Williams being picked by the Chesapeake Bayhawks.